An Education Arm of the Saba Family Foundation
Transforming Lives with Opportunities
Samskara, pronounced ‘sams-kara’ is Sanskrit for forming the mind, training, education and is an arm of the Saba Family Foundation. Samskara will bring change for under-served girls worldwide by providing ...Read the rest of this topic
Skip available courses
This module focuses on spontaneous pneumothorax and is aimed at 3rd year medical students.
An understanding of the
anatomy and physiology of the thoracic structures.
At the end of this module you should be able to recognise and manage a patient presenting with a spontaneous pneumothorax.
The Oceans Garden: Coral Reefs (DC)
Coral reefs are diverse underwater ecosystems held together by calcium carbonate structures secreted by corals. Coral reefs are built by colonies of tiny animals found in marine waters that contain few nutrients. Most coral reefs are built from stony corals, which in turn consist of polyps that cluster in groups.
- Natural disasters: including floods, hurricanes, earthquakes and volcano eruptions that have immediate impacts on human health and secondary impacts causing further death and suffering from (for example) floods, landslides, fires, tsunamis.
- Environmental emergencies: including technological or industrial accidents, usually involving the production, use or transportation of hazardous material, and occur where these materials are produced, used or transported, and forest fires caused by humans.
- Complex emergencies: involving a break-down of authority, looting and attacks on strategic installations, including conflict situations and war.
- Pandemic emergencies: involving a sudden onset of contagious disease that affects health, disrupts services and businesses, brings economic and social costs.
Any disaster can interrupt essential services, such as health care, electricity, water, sewage/garbage removal, transportation and communications. The interruption can seriously affect the health, social and economic networks of local communities and countries. Disasters have a major and long-lasting impact on people long after the immediate effect has been mitigated. Poorly planned relief activities can have a significant negative impact not only on the disaster victims but also on donors and relief agencies. So it is important that physical therapists join established programmes rather than attempting individual efforts.
Local, regional, national and international organisations are all involved in mounting a humanitarian response to disasters. Each will have a prepared disaster management plan. These plans cover prevention, preparedness, relief and recovery.
This is a graduate level course on Process Dynamics and Control.
At the end of course, the student will be able to
(1) Develop mathematical models for processes
(2) Develop transfer functions and block diagrams
(3) Develop Open loop and Closed loop transfer functions
(4) Study the stability of open loop and closed loop blocks
This course is designed to improve students' conversation skills in a scientific- or engineering-oriented setting. Grammar, writing styles and speaking skills specific to students' scientific and engineering areas of interest will be the focus of this course and will be accomplished through discussions of various authentic technical-based texts.